Mass. Draft Director Hits Move to Fire Him

John C. Carr, the man the Nixon administration wants to replace as director of the Massachusetts. Selective Service, said yesterday that the administration wants to replace him because "we don't feel we're a prosecution agency."

The complaints against Carr were that he had not been active enough in taking action against draft evaders, that he had not been cooperating with draft counseling services, and that he had practiced law while remaining in his post.

"The whole dispute may be moot because at the moment the administration and I are talking about a decision agreeable to both sides," Carr said. But he called the charges politically motivated.

Carr categorically denied the complaint about the draft counseling agencies, saying he had never denied practicing law. "But in every instance I have taken time off from my annual leave," he said. "As a result, I have never taken one full week's vacation since I took the job."

Cold Sweat

"I was hurt about the prosecution charge," Carr added. "My feeling has always been that any Massachusetts boy should get exactly the same break as any other boy in any other state.

"This is my bible, my credo. The one thing that terrifies me, that makes me break out in a cold sweat at nights, is that I have not given any and every boy the right and necessary information," he said.

"If this is the wrong way to do the job then I've been doing it the wrong way the whole time. But that's the way I'm doing it and the way I think it should be done."

President John F. Kennedy '40 appointed Carr to the position seven years ago.