Restic Will Add Black Coach to Staff; Some Hamilton Coaches May Transfer

By Robert W. Gerlach

Newly-appointed Harvard football coach Joe Restic said yesterday that selecting a black coach to assist him next year would be "the top priority" in his interviewing for a new staff.

Restic also indicated that several of his assistant coaches at Hamilton will join him in transferring to Harvard. "Many of them indicated a desire to come with me, and they will be given a degree of priority in decisions," Restic said. "Their decisions still rest on whether one of them is chosen to replace me at Hamilton."

Current members of the Harvard coaching staff will also be given "a degree of priority," Restic said.

The new head coach interviewed the present staff Tuesday and was impressed. "Every one of them fits into the Harvard philosophy. They have a place there and I respect them for their experience and individuality," Restic said.

Black Coach

But Restic will add at least one black assistant coach to his staff because "there is a tremendous need for black coaches in football today. A black coach would be an important addition to any football staff," Restic said. "I have several candidates in mind that I have been very close to either in my coaching or playing experience."

Restic's leading criteria in selecting a staff is to seek diversity. "I'm looking for coaches that want to debate me," he said. "Each coach should have a specific strength that will give him a different outlook on matters."

More Interviewing

Several positions on the staff have not been determined, for Restic said that he was going to start interviewing more coaches today and keep interviewing others throughout the national coaches' convention to be held this weekend. A final announcement should come around the end of January when Restic will return to Cambridge.