Sidewalk Fall Injures Meter Maid

A Harvard meter maid fell and seriously injured her back yesterday on the icy sidewalk on Copperwaithe St. outside Leverett House.

When told of the incident a Buildings and Grounds foreman expressed surprise, saying that "all sidewalks have been sanded and salted." But the area in which the woman fell showed little evidence of attention.

The injured woman, who asked that her name be withheld, was taken to Stillman Infirmary and x-rayed immediately. No broken bones were found, although she said that the doctor had found a separation of undetermined origin in the lower part of her spine. The lower part of her back was severely sprained.

She said that she would be in the hospital for a few days and would recuperate for an indefinite length of time at home. She also said that since she had been injured on the job she would not lose any pay during her recuperation.

The only comment from Buildings and Grounds came from a foreman who said that "tons and tons of sand and salt have been spread. We're trying to keep after it but it's hard because the ice keeps melting and refreezing."