Booters Face Cardinals Today

Meet Toughest Challenge to Date Without Axten, Ekama

By M. DEACON Dake

With the offense now starting to approach its potential and the defense remaining consistently impenetrable, Harvard's soccer team, ranked first in New England, meets a strong sixth rated Wesleyan squad at 2:30 p.m. on the Business School Field.

Ranked sixth nationally, the undefeated Crimson is faced with the possibility of opposing the Cardinals without the services of two regulars.

Senior fullback Phil Axten, who required eight stitches after a collision in the Amherst game and is now being treated for a possible concussion, and junior Emmanuel Ekama, who is suffering from a severely bruised bone on the top of his foot, are both listed as questionable starters by Coach Bruce Munro.

Axten did not play and Ekama saw brief action in Saturday's 5-0 victory over Columbia. Even without the two. Harvard put together its two best halves of the season for continuous offensive assault, complemented by a solid defensive wall. The Crimson outshot the Lions, 32-3.

Bob Woods filled in for Axten against Columbia and Henry Sideropoulos and Dick LaCivita alternated in Ekama's absence. All three performed admirably and may see more action today.

"We still haven't arrived at out potential yet, but you can't really fault the offense," Munro explained. "After all, there's nothing wrong with five goals."

With or without Axten and Ekama, the Crimson's play today will at least have to equal the performance against Columbia if it hopes to dominate the Cardinals.

"I'm really worried about Wesleyan." Munro said yesterday. "This is without a doubt the toughest team we've played to date and it is by no means any sort of stepping stone for Cornell on Saturday."

So far this season, Wesleyan has sailed to a 4-0 record, its most surprising game a 2-0 victory over Yale. Last week the Cardinals sunk the Coast Guard, 3-1.

The victory over Yale is even more impressive considering the Bulldogs' startling 0-0 tie on Saturday with highly favored Brown. In other Ivy League action. Penn--ranked fourth nationally--defeated Dartmouth, 3-1, and Cornell, rated fifth in the nation, had a surprisingly rough time with Princeton before edging the Tigers, 4-3.

In the two days of preparation before meeting Wesleyan. Munro has divided his time between running six on four drills and practicing situation plays, such as corner kicks.