Steinem Speaks

"I hope historians will see the coming age as one no longer divided by obvious physical differences but by creativety and intelligence." Gloria Steinem said yesterday afternoon before a capacity audience at the Harvard Business School.

She urged Harvard to include women in its category, "the future leaders of America."

Outside the auditorium, women from the Women's Association of the Business School collected signatures to protest an advertisement headlined, "For Men Only," run in Harbus the Business School newspaper.

A Young Man's Game

"Most management consulting is done by men under 35," the ad said. "Consulting is a young man's game."

Referring to the ad, Steinem said, "It seems as if this school should lead to social trends. This ad shows that's bullshit."

After the lecture, Steinem met with 30 women active in Business School politics to discuss their problems and possible solutions to them.

At the discussion, one woman alleged that the Business School has one quota for all minorities. This means if the Business school admits more blacks, it admits fewer women.

When asked about women's colleges, Steinem said, "When I went to Smith, I thought they were terrible. But I went in the fifties, and that was worse." She continued, "Since then I've changed my mind. I think we can turn them into real feminist institutes.