UHS Starts Rap Sessions For Freshmen

For the second year, the University Health Services (UHS) has organized freshman discussion groups to help incoming students weather the transition from high school to college.

Each group consists of about ten students who talk informally about their problems and frustrations under the leadership of a Health Service psychologist or psychiatrist.

In one session at the UHS Monday afternoon, eight students expressed their first reactions to life at Harvard. Three problems dominated the discussion. The first problem was the sense of insecurity experienced by the freshman who is no longer at the top of his class or by one who feels overwhelmed by difficult courses.

Several freshmen also complained of difficulties in meeting people. They were dissatisfied with the lack of common rooms or lounges in the dorms and with the cold atmosphere of the Union.

Overwhelmed

Finally, almost everyone has been overwhelmed by and frustrated with the University bureaucracy--the filling out of endless forms and the delay tactics of numerous secretaries.

As of Monday, 109 Harvard and 12 Radcliffe freshmen were enrolled in discussion groups.

Dr. Preston K. Munter, assistant director of the UHS, said Monday that "while the UHS doesn't quantify the results of the groups to measure success, the discussions are useful in making the adjustment to college and that most students last year expressed favor with the program."

Dr. Munter also emphasized that the program is still open to all incoming students and that those interested should contact the Health Services.