Boston Race

Included in the "Five's" progress is tax reform, a daycare referendum, and the establishment of 24-hour community health care clinics. They also favor limiting the holdings of large landlords and corporations through rent control, taxation and zoning.

They promise, "We will enable tenants, community co-operatives, or block associations to buy property by backing up bank loans or FHA loans or by any other means."

Socialist Workers Party candidates Sarah Jane Ullman, Toba Singer, Jean Lafferty, and Joseph Miles are running on a platform urging an end to the war, tenant-owned housing, and free daycare and medical care. Their chances of election are slim. In the last election Ullman received only 17 votes.

The only non-incumbent independent with strong odds for winning is Leonard J. Russell, a garbage contractor who came in tenth last election, missing a Council seat by only a few votes.

Independent William H. Walsh, who has represented many Cambridge landlords in rent control cases, will get the landlord vote and support from others who as Walsh puts it, "want to see radical elements out of Harvard Square."

Other independents are appealing to various ethnic groups and issues but stand little chance of sitting on the Council next year.

Under the Proportional Representation (PR) system of voting results for Cambridge elections will not be determined for about a week. Proportional Representation is a complicated system whereby voters list their choices in order of preference and candidates are elected by getting a certain quota of number one votes or redistributed surplus votes from weak or strong candidates.

Voters do not elect a mayor under Cambridge's Plan E form of government. Administrative power rests with the city manager who is appointed by a majority vote of the Council. The Council also selects a Mayor from among their own number but the past is primarily titular.