Stickmen Meet St. Nick's In Preview Match Here

By Evan W. Thomas

In 1916, St. Nick's hockey club came within one loss of winning the world amateur hockey championship. Limousines would line up in front of the old St. Nick's rink in New York before games, and after the games, the personal valets of the players would bring over tails and white gloves to the locker room so that their young masters could go off to a post-game champagne supper.

St. Nick's still survives, obviously no longer a white tie and championship team, but a respectable pick-up team composed largely of ex Ivy League players. Harvard, Princeton and Yale graduates still dominate the St. Nick's roster, as they did fifty years ago, but of the eleven H-Y-P players on the team, nine are products of mediocre to miserable Yale and Princeton teams of the 60's.

There are several good players on the roster. Bob Gaudreau, Brown '66, was a two-time All-American, and Jack Turco, Harvard '70, scored over 50 points his senior year here. There is also the unsettling possibility that Harvard's three time All-American Joe Cavanagh will be back at Watson Rink tonight playing for St. Nick's against his old teammates.

Stock Brokers

It's impossible to tell which St. Nick's players will show up tonight at 8 p.m. to take on Harvard in this pre-season exhibition game. As a fairly informal team of occasional players. St. Nick's may be able to field a team that could give Harvard a difficult time, or it may be left with a collection of out-of-shape stock brokers. In past years, St. Nick's has showed up in Cambridge with fairly presentable teams that stayed within six or seven goals of the Crimson.

In making this pre-season rounds this fall. St. Nick's has defeated Princeton, 5-3 and lost to Yale. Princeton has another miserable team this year (it has already lost to its freshmen as well as to St. Nick's), and the Tigers may be destined for a season comparable to last year's 1-22 debacle. Yale has improved, and the Elis had little trouble polishing off a St. Nick's team that collapsed from exhaustion in the third period, 11-4.

Tonight's game means nothing to the season, but it may be a chance to see Joe Cavanagh perform, and his heir-apparent, Dave Hynes, score the first of many goals this winter.