Cagers Face Seton Hall Today In Tight Madison Square Tilt

By Jonathan P. Carlson

"We're going to the Mecca of basketball on Saturday, and we're going to show the people there what we can do," coach Bob Harrison told his squad after its narrow win over Northeastern Thursday night.

This afternoon the dream comes true as the Crimson travels to Madison Square Garden for the first time in regular season play to meet Seton Hall in a 1:30 p.m. contest.

Pirates's Captain

The outcome of the game will probably turn on Harvard's ability to handle the Pirates's captain. Ken House (the name is more than metaphorical). House, who is six feet five inches and weighs 240 pounds, was the 20th leading rebounder in the nation last year with 14.5 per game. He also averaged 20 points per contest.

When the Crimson is in its man-to-man defense. Tony Jenkins, who did a fine job on Northeastern's leading scorer and rebounder, Jim Moxley, on Thursday, will guard House.

"Tony will have to keep him off the boards, but one of our guards should be able to slack off and double team him," Harrison said yesterday. "House isn't fast, and we plan to take advantage of that," he added.

As a team, Harvard played tough defense against Northeastern, holding them to 16 shots in the second half Thursday and forcing 26 turnovers in the game. Offensively, though, the Crimson had its troubles, missing rebound tip-ins and shooting only 35 per cent from the floor.

Seton Hall's style of basketball, more run-and-shoot than Northeastern's, should loosen up the game. And that should work to Harvard's advantage on offense. The Crimson's offensive strength lies in its fast break, and if the Pirates try to run with Harvard, the Crimson could blow them off the floor.

James Brown, who only scored on 3 of 16 shots against Northeastern, and Jim Fitzsimmons, who is deadly from right baseline, are both streak shooters who score when they are moving.

The Crimson will also be able to use its big men. Floyd Lewis, Brian Newmark, and Tom Mustoe. None of them saw much action against Northeastern because Harrison had to go with smaller, quicker men to counter the Huskies's methodical offense. But with all the big men playing against Seton Hall. Harvard will rebound and fast break more efficiently.

"We're looking forward to playing in the Garden. "Fitzsimmons said yesterday. "And the additional pressure will help us play up to our potential."