Harvard Launches Third Sexual Misconduct Climate Survey

Divinity School Student Government Calls On Harvard to Divest from ‘Illegal Occupation of Palestine’

Occupation at B.C. Ends With Arrests

An occupation of the office of Boston College's senior vice president protesting Air Force Electronic Systems' recruiting at B.C. ended yesterday morning when police arrested 15 people.

At 5:45 a.m., B.C. officials notified the approximately 70 demonstrators occupying the building that police would arrest anyone who did not vacate the premises and would charge them with criminal trespass. The eight students, three alumni, and four others who stayed to be arrested at 6:30 a.m. were later released on personal recognizance.

The occupation began Thursday afternoon when a group of chanting students protesting the recruiting moved from the vicinity of the recruiters to the offices of the senior vice president and dean of faculties. Between 30 and 40 members of the group then entered peacefully and took over Hopkins House, where the offices are located.

B.C. administrators moved quickly to warn those who had entered the building that they would be suspended if they did not leave Hopkins House immediately. Eleven students decided to stay and face temporary suspension. Their cases will be considered Monday by the B.C. University Conduct Board.

A list of six demands was prepared by the students. They called for an end to military recruiting on campus. cessation of defense research, and a day-long moratorium on classes for a teach-in. The students also demanded revocation of an October court injunction preventing disruption of military recruiting at B.C.. an open meeting of the B.C. board of directors, and amnesty for all participants in the occupation.

Rev. W. Seavey Joyce. B.C. president, rejected the demands.

A group estimated by the B.C. Heights at 150 marched to Hopkins House Thursday evening in support of the 11 students occupying the building. Members of this group entered Hopkins House, swelling the number of people occupying the offices to about 70.

In response to the arrests yesterday morning, a rally was held at noon. The more than 100 students participating tried unsuccessfully to see Joyce. They then marched back to Hopkins House to talk with Rev. Charles Donovan, dean of Faculties.

The occupation of Hopkins House was the third demonstration this fall against military recruiting at B.C