Crimson Icemen Deadlock B.U., 4-4

By Evan W. Thomas

In a sensational bid for an upset, Harvard's hockey team duplicated last December's 4-4 tie with national champion B.U. Coming back from 2-0, 3-2, and 4-3 deficits, the Crimson tied the game with 4:09 remaining and nearly put away the Terriers in overtime.

The Crimson's Local Line scored two of Harvard's goals, but one of the keys to Harvard's performance was the excellent play of the second and third lines. Coach Billy Cleary had all his players flying for last night's contest, and they rewarded their rookie coach by outhitting B.U., successfully reversing last season's less physical style of play.

B.U. Leads 2-0

B.U. outshot and slightly outplayed the Crimson in the first period, jumping to a 2-0 lead. Thunder Thornton came up with the Terrier's first goal, converting a Dave Weisner pass after Weisner had stolen the puck from Harvard's Andy Burns. Ron Anderson put the Crimson further in the hole at 14:48 by drilling home a low forty footer that caught the inside post.

Harvard came right back in the second period with two goals in the first nine minutes. Taking a Leif Reynolds pass, third liner Harry Reynolds beat B.U.'s Dan Brady with a quick wrist shot from the circle. Captain Tommy Paul tied the game with a similar play, whipping a twenty footer into the upper right hand corner.

B.U.'s Anderson put the Terriers back in the lead with his second goal of the game, a long slap shot past Bretagna's arm. Harvard struck back only two minutes later, an Bob McManama fed Dave Hynes from behind the cage.

The Terriers gained the advantage one more, scoring their final goal eight seconds into the third period. Bertagna put a rebound right out in front, and although he blocked the follow-up shot, a third shot caught him out of position. Guy Burrowes tipped the shot into the empty net, and B.U. led, 4-3.

A B.U. penalty gave Harvard a chance to tie it up with less than five minutes remaining, and the Crimson responded with a quick power play goal. Sophomore defenseman Mark Noonan fired a wrist shot off Brady's pads, and McManams's tapped in the rebounds to send the came into sudden death.

Neither team could score in the ten-minute overtime, but Harvard had all the chances. Skating superbly, the Local Line set up two clear shots on fast breaks, but neither Billy Corkery nor McManama could capitalize on the chances as Brady came up with excellent saves.

Brady finished the evening with 34 saves, and Bertagna, starting his second varsity game, ended up with 35. Aided by the return of previously injured Doug Elliott, the Crimson defense checked and cleared very well.