Pusey Letter Asks Students's Opinions; May Be New Trend

By Robert Decherd

President Pusey's move this week to include Law students in the selection of the Law School's next dean may be an indication of broader changes to be instituted by President-elect Derek C. Bok when he takes office in July.

Pusey's letter (see below) to Abram J. Chayes '43, chairman of the Law School Student-Faculty Committee on Governance, reflects a consciousness of student opinion uncharacteristic of Pusey's 17-year tenure.

Clearly, Bok conferred with Pusey about seeking student participation in choosing a new Law dean. In his letter, Pusey emphasizes repeatedly that the choice of the next dean will be made in close consultation with Bok and that they concur on the need for involving students in the selection process.

Pusey also points out that traditionally "the power of appointment rests in the President and Fellows." This is a power which he guarded carefully in selecting deans of the University: seldom did Pusey confer with a large number of students about candidates for deans or about the qualities which should be sought.

Instead, Pusey relied heavily on individual consultations with selected faculty and, on occasion, with well-screened students. This method was painfully apparent in the Corporation's search for a new president, even though Francis H. Burr '35- not Pusey- headed that effort.

It is therefore unlikely that Pusey underwent a sudden change of heart in his final term as president. Rather, in close contact with Bok, he is filling the perfunctory role of initiating the search for a new Law dean.

NEWS ANALYSIS

In going to the Governance Committee, Pusey (or rather Bok) is taking a calculated first step toward student involvement in an administrative matter. For the first time, the Corporation is seeking the formal advice of a student group before making an appointment.

The logical next step is permanent student advisory committees to assist in selecting men for vital University posts. But whether Bok has this in mind-especially considering the expected resignation of the University's doans when administrations change in July- is mere speculation.

While Pusey's letter has opened heretofore closed avenues for student participation, the degree of participation

and the ultimate weight of the Governance Committee's findings is uncertain.

In an hour-long meeting with the committee last week, Pusey said he was interested only in results which encompass a thorough sampling of Law School students' opinion. The task is imposing.

The Governance Committee itself is split on how to approach students and about the value of their efforts. Early forums intended to gather opinion have been lightly attended; a proposed questionnaire has not yet been distributed. And yet Pusey wants the committee's report- which must represent the School's 1800 students- in less than three weeks.

Despite the improbability of effectively carrying out Pusey's mandate, his letter represents an important break with tradition. Presented to the Governance Committee this week, the letter was conceived mainly from Pusey's conference with the committee.

It has been suggested by one member of the committee that Chayes drafted the letter for Pusey's signature, but the author is really unimportant. It now remains to be seen whether the letter is a sign of things to come or merely a hollow gesture.

THE LETTER

Dear Mr. Chayes:

With the selection of Dean Bok as the new President of Harvard a matter of great significance facing the University and the Law School is the appointment of his successor as Dean. Although the power of appointment rests in the President and Fellows, I think that it is of the utmost importance that this power be exercised only after wide-ranging consultation and discussion. An effort will be made to seek opinions of many people interested and informed about legal education at Harvard and elsewhere. Not least among those whose views will be valued are those of students now at the School. It will be helpful to have their advice both on the personal and educational qualities they think important in a dean and their suggestions for persons to be considered- so that their views can be brought to bear in a systematic way in the selection process.

I understand that the Law School Committee on Governance, of which you are chairman, has student members from all classes at the School, elected by their classmates to consider matters relating to the governance of the Law School. As such, the Committee seemed to Dean Bok and me to be the appropriate vehicle to assist us in canvassing the views of the students and making them available to us during the selection process. Accordingly, with Dean Bok's warm concurrence, I am asking your committee to undertake that task.

The Committee will have to decide on the procedures that will be followed to insure a fair and balanced representation of the views of the student body. Dean Bok and I would be available to meet with members of the committee to provide an opportunity for a meaningful exchange among us. Perhaps it would be desirable to have a first meeting at an early date to get acquainted and to review the steps in the selection process in its entirety.

You will understand, of course, that the Committee cannot be made the exclusive channel for communication of student opinion on the selection of a new dean. Every student must feel free to write directly to Dean Bok or me, and I hope many will. Thoughtful and considered communication in writing has been very helpful to me in selecting deans of faculties in the past. Moreover, there are groups within the student body who may have a special outlook or perspective. If any of these should think it desirable to communicate their views other than through the Committee on Governance. I am sure we shall be able to work out suitable arrangements.

Meanwhile, I hope the Committee can begin promptly on a process that will insure that the views and concerns of the student body at the Law School, in all their range and diversity, will be brought appropriately to bear on this decision of such great importance to us all.

Sincerely yours, Nathan M. Pusey