Fencers Defeat Knights; Travel to Princeton Today

By Martin R. Garay iii

The Crimson fencing team, receiving substantial aid from its epee squad, easily defeated a weak Rutgers team last night in New Brunswick, N.J., 20-7. The Harvard fencers travel to Princeton this afternoon to fence the Tigers.

After losing 9-0 to Penn last week, the Crimson epee squad came back last night to win six out of nine bouts. The saber and foil squads combined to win 10 out of 18 bouts.

Mickey Irvings, Crimson co-captain and first epee, won all three of his bouts with unusual ease. "I finally started to fence smartly; I was more fluid, penetrated my opponents' defense, and made them make the mistakes," Irvings said last night.

Geza Tattrallay, the number two epee, lost his first bout, but loosened up in the second round and won his last two bouts. Rick Barger lost his first two bouts, and was replaced with Al Shaw who won.

At the saber, Larry Cetrulo won all three of his matches, Rick Tolbert took two, and Ken Hetzler split two. Foilman Tom Keller continued to fence brilliantly and won two bouts, allowing his opponents only two touches. "Rutgers wasn't tough at all. But they did loosen us up for Princeton," Irvings said last night.

In the match against Princeton this afternoon, the Crimson faces a team which has some weaknesses at the foil and saber, the Crimson's two strong weapons. The Tigers have won one game in the Ivies, defeating Cornell last week. The Harvard fencing team will be seeking its first Ivy League win.

"We always like to fence against Princeton," Tom Keller said Thursday, "because they fence the game like gentlemen. They almost believe in the old adage that it isn't whether one wins or loses, but how well one plays."