Dunster Post Likely to Remain Unfilled

The unfilled post of Master of Dunster House may well go unfilled for a second consecutive year, according to recent speculation, when acting Master Roger Rosenblatt. assistant professor of English, takes a leave of absence next year to complete a book on black fiction.

John L. Parry. Gardiner Professor of Occanic History and Affairs, has been frequently mentioned as Rosenblatt's successor. Parry's office, however, while confirming unofficial exchanges with the President's office, said Parry has been asked to become only acting Master in Rosenblatt's place.

The possible appointment of an acting Master confirms quiet speculation among senior tutors and House tutors that Faculty members are more reluctant to take on House Masterships today than ever before.

Don't Get Involved

One senior tutor cited fear of too much student involvement, preoccupation with individual Faculty research. and an unwillingness to get involved in the minor administrative details of the position as major reasons why professors are now shunning the House Master jobs.

Rosenblatt said yesterday he expects to resume the job of acting Master of Dunster when he returns to Harvard in 1972. Such a situation would create an unprecedented succession of three straight acting Masters without the appointment of a permanent one.

Parry could not be reached for comment. He is currently on sabbatical in East Africa after leaving a post as head of Radcliffe's North House last year.

Rosenblatt, recipient of a fellowship from the National Endowment for Humanities, will continue work on his book in New York and possibly Ireland. He was nominated for the prize by the Harvard English Department.