Cornell Coach Rates Icemen High Calls Cavanagh Main Harvard Asset

Before last week's 3-1 victory over Harvard. Cornell's hockey coach Dick Bertrand was already talking about the upcoming ECAC's. "In a tournament like this the team with the most spirit is going to come out on top, and Cooney Weiland knows how to get a team up. And Harvard certainly has the talent to go all the way." he said.

Bertrand also rated Boston University and Clarkson as the other challengers to Cornell the defending ECAC champion.

"In Joe Cavanagh, Harvard has 'Mr. Everything.' He controls the play whenever he's on the Ice Dan DeMichele and Cooch Owen are also very strong skaters, so if a team is going to beat Harvard, they have to stop that first line." he said.

Bertrand pointed out that Cavanagh often plays two-thirds of the game since, in addition to his regular line shift, he also skates on the power play and kills penalties.

Commenting on other Harvard players, Bertrand continued. "Bob McManama could very well be the next Cavanagh; he's a strong skater and has a good head for hockey. Dave Hynes has a good wrist shot, and Jay Riley is another strong skater. Davey Jones stands out on defense, and Bruce Durno is always hard to beat."

Harvard Without Cavanagh?

However, he summed up his evaluation of Harvard in one sentence. "What would Harvard be without Joe Cavanagh?"

In contrast to what he considers Harvard's dependence on one player. Bertrand sees Cornell as a balanced team with plenty of depth and no real star. "Petit, McCutcheon, Fullan and Ugolini would all be just as good as Cavanagh if they played for Harvard. But with us they are all just part of the team effort." Bertrand explained.

Bertrand said that Americans are generally stronger skaters because Canadian hockey stresses the technical aspects of the game such as puck control and play-making.

Bertrand predicts that with the boom of hockey enthusiasm in American cities such as Boston, there will be fewer and fewer Canadian players in the Ivy League in the coming years.

Currently Cornell has 17 natives of Ontario on its 18-man squad.