'Cliffe Skiers Win Sixth Successive League Title

Last week, the Radcliffe ski team received the Women's Intercollegiate Ski Conference championship trophy, bringing its consecutive annual championships to six.

Radcliffe won five out of six races held this year by the Intercollegiate Conference, which includes Radcliffe, UMass, B.U., Bradford Jr. College, Wellesley, and Mt. Holyoke. The other race saw them lose a close contest to UMass.

Eighth at Waterville

The team also finished eighth in a national exhibition contest at Waterville Valley, N.H. on March 6, despite the absence of three of its top skiers. In that race, freshman Kathy Angell won first place in her age group to lead the depleted squad.

Mary Paget, ski coach and director of sports at Radcliffe, said. "Of course, I was very satisfied with the girls' performance this season. I've been satisfied with them every year."

Individually, Radcliffe skiers ranked high in Eastern competition. Out of approximately 80 skiers in the conference, captain Barbara Grant was the top individual for the second consecutive year.

Top Ten

Three other team members were also among the season's top ten-Julie Meck was sixth. Debbie McLane was seventh, and Meg Morgan was ninth.

With only one junior and no seniors on this year's squad, Radcliffe should have at least two more good years of skiing guaranteed. Paget said, "We can compete with anyone in the East, even though we're not in what is considered the 'Snow Belt' area. We have a great group of girls."

This year's "A" team consisted of ten skiers. Other women who contributed largely to the team scoring totals were Harriet Bering, Nancy Cochran, Sharman Haley, Tamsin Venn, and Juliet Bradley.