Farneti Takes Ring Crown Left Jab is Key to Decision Over O'Neal

By M. DEACON Dake

Using a vicious left jab as his major weapon, senior Gary Farneti of Quincy House won a three round decision over sophomore Bob O'Neal of Dunster House yesterday to grab his fourth straight intramural boxing unlimited division championship.

A crowd of 700 roared as ten championships in the House and freshmen divisions were decided. "This is without a doubt the best crowd we've had in at least the last ten years." director Henry Lamar said. "And they really saw some great action."

Official scoring for the title matches was not made public but after the first round of the Farneti-O'Neal bout. Lamar signaled referee Dick Flaherty to award no points for the round. After the standoff in the first round. Farnetli started to slip in his left jab and began to show an advantage in quickness.

In the final round, O'Neal spurted blood from a cut Farneti had opened under the challenger's nose in the previous round. Farneti's jab was coming home with increasing regularity and the spurt started to flow. However, O'Neal was not going to be knocked down-he kept slugging to the bell.

"O'Neal did hit Farneti with one very solid shot that rocked him." Lamar said. After the shot, Farneti was minus a cap from one of his molars but other than that, the champion was unsheathed.

In possibly the best technically fought bout of the afternoon, Ken Otto of Leverett decisioned George Haywood, also of Leverett, in the 155 pound division title bout. Both boxers were extremely quick and showed definite ring experience.

As expected, the freshmen unlimited match between Thayer North's Sandy Tennant and Oscar DePriest of Lionel was mildly brutal to say the least. The crowd was extremely vocal as the competitors unloaded every shot "from way back home." Tennant wonn" very close decision on the strength of his middle round performance.

TKO

Fred Smith of Mather, in the 165 pound weight class, and John Waciuma of Wigglesworth West, in the 175 pound division, were the only individuals to win championships on a TKO. Smith's fight was stopped in the third round and Waciuma won as a result of two knockdowns in the first round.

Steve Porter of Thayer North, Lars Dahle of Weld North, and Straus's Ed Pujalski, all won decisions in the freshmen division. Osborne Erikson of Quincy House grabbed the 175 pound championship for the second year in a row.