House Votes Down SST, 218-204

The House of Representatives voted 218-204 yesterday to halt further federal funding of the Super-Sonic Transport plane (SST) as of March 30. However, SST supporters will call for another vote on the issue within the next week.

The House decision was a severe rebuff to the Nixon Administration which had asked for $290 million for the development of two SST prototypes. President Nixon telephoned several undecided congressmen Wednesday afternoon in an attempt to insure passage of the proposal.

The vote climaxed a bitter debate between the Administration and Senator William Proxmire (D-Wise.). Proxmire charged Wednesday night that the SST will increase the incidence of skin cancer by thinning the protective shield of ozone in the stratosphere. In response, the Administration accused Proxmire of trying to create fear among congressmen over the SST's threat to the environment.

Wassily W. Leontief, Lee Professor of Economics and a leading opponent of the SST, hailed the House vote. "As an attempt to improve transportation, the SST is barking up the wrong tree. The U.S. does not need a plane which benefits only a few rich people," Leontief said.