Starr Sweeps to Quarter-Finals

By M. DEACON Dake

Recording the second fastest pin in the tournament and then winning a narrow one-point decision yesterday, Harvard's 190 pound Rich Starr swept to the quarter-finals of the NCAA Wrestling Championships to be held this afternoon at Auburn, Ala.

Harvard's two other entrants and District I titillates, captain Pat Coleman and Mark Faller, were both eliminated from the competition. N? other District I champions are left in the tournament.

A slim crowd of 500, in Auburn's 15,000 seat Memorial Coliseum, witnessed over 200 opening round bouts yesterday. In the 142 pound class, Pat Coleman was eliminated, 4-3, by Chester Cook of the California State Teachers College of Pennsylvania.

A quarter-finalist last year, Mark Faller drew a bye in the first round. Last night, in the second round, he was behind. 7-3, before being pinned at 6:00 by Hajime Shinjo of the University of Washington.

Kansas State's Ron Tacha was Starr's quick fall victim in the opening round, falling to the Crimson sophomore in 39 seconds. In the second round, he nipped Purdue's Jim Metzler, 3-2. Today in the quarter-finals, Starr will face third seeded Vince Paolano of Syracuse.

"He'll give Paolano some kind of trouble," Harvard coach John Lee said last night. "Starr has been very quick so far and he has a good chance to place." Two victories today would put Starr in the finals on Saturday.