Overseers Give Go-Ahead To Plans for 'Non-Merger'

The Board of Overseers approved the Harvard-Radcliffe 'non-merger' plan yesterday, enabling the Presidents of the two Colleges to begin work on a new contract.

The approved plan essentially merges all functions of Harvard and Radcliffe except admissions. It also gives Radcliffe the option of reverting back to the present system or otherwise changing the relationship after the planned five-year contract lapses.

Under the non-merger plan, Harvard will integrate the Radcliffe dormitories into the Harvard House system and absorb Radcliffe's finances-and debt-while Radcliffe will retain control of admissions, financial aid, career counseling and the Radcliffe Institute. The President of Radcliffe will become a dean under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

"Most of the advantages of merger can be obtained under the arrangements we propose," states the proposal drafted by the committee composed of the Presidents and members of the governing boards of Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges. "At the same time these arrangements avoid the primary drawbacks, in particular, the irrevocable nature of a merger and the loss of flexibility necessary for adjusting to rapidly changing ideas concerning the role of women in the University,"

The plan will save money by eliminating redundant bureaucracy. Harvard will absorb Radcliffe's estimated $250,000 deficit under the contract.

The Radcliffe Houses will be integrated into the Harvard House system with appropriate consultation with the Dean of Radcliffe, and costs of this integrative change at Radcliffe will be borne by both Harvard and Radcliffe.

Bunting

To combat the fear that problems of women might be ignored after the non-merger, the new Dean of Radcliffe will specifically concern herself with women's problems in addition to her normal administrative duties. Mary I. Bunting, the present president of Radcliffe, will be the first dean of Radcliffe for one year, thus, helping to smooth over the transition period with her experience.