Overseers See the Sights

By S. F. J. and M. S. K.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus," Ken Kesey told his band of merry pranksters during their 1964 bus "trip" across the United States.

It is unclear whether similar sentiments were expressed by Chairman C. Douglas Dillon '31 to his Board of merry Overseers yesterday as they boarded a vista-vision tour bus for their first trip together around Harvard. The Overseers' Executive Committee voted yesterday morning that the bus tour was an "official" part of the Overseers' meeting and therefore "off-the-record."

The bus left Holyoke Center at 2 p. m. to show the Overseers current and planned construction sights and the communities around them, and to examine what one administrator called "problems around the peripheries of the University." The group made two rest stops, one at the Business School and one at the Medical Area. Overseers are reported to have looked with interest out the window as the bus sped by 888 Memorial Drive, where a group of women occupied a building, though they did not stop there.

The Overseers' day concluded with a-gala testimonial dinner for President Pusey in the red-carpeted confines of the Boston Harvard Club last night.

Approximately 75 current and former members of the Overseers, Fellows of the College, and selected leaders of the faculty and alumni organizations attended the black tie affair. Pusey's successor Derek C. Bok and his wife Sissela also attended.

Although the dinner was also a "private affair," William Bentinck-Smith, assistant to the President, reported that it was nothing more formal than a "fun evening."

The differences between yesterday's bus excursion and that of Kesey probably outweigh the similarities, but the essential status dichotomy was preserved. A secretary to Sargent Kennedy, Secretary to the Overseers, told a CRIMSON photographer attempting to follow the adventurers' trail, "Anyone who knows where the bus is going is on the bus."