MINUTEMEN AND THE PLP

By James P. Baughman

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

What occurred Friday night at Sanders Theatre was curious display of the workings of the American radical mind. Like obstinate Scotsmen or little children, they would have their way. They were right and no one else. Were not the invited guess proponents of American butchery, unworthy of any article in the Bill of Rights?

The essential issue here, the one I think that divides this campus and most of the country, is simply who qualifies for the Bill of Rights? The highly radical, in true revolutionary devotion, would deny any one who steadfastly disagreed with their notions, the right of free speech. The same way religious bigots in this country have denied freedom of religion by bombing churches, and Richard Daley denied right of assembly and invited the 1968 Chicago riots by refusing to give war protesters a meeting place. And just as Vice President Agnew, who, so obviously anxious to please a boss so often burned by newsmen, would like to amend so called "abuses" of freedom of the press.

The Bill of Rights either apply to everyone or no one. Either we respect the rights of the individual, no matter how repulsive, or totalitarianism will come courtesy of either the Minutemen or the Progressive Labor Party.