Light Crews Sink Navy; Register Third Straight

By Richard K. Sontgerath

Harvard's lightweight crews registered their third consecutive "clean sweep" Saturday as the varsity, JV, and freshmen each outdistanced their counterparts from Navy.

The largest margin of victory was produced by the varsity, who had opened up over 14 seconds of open water on the Middies by the finish. The varsity, covering the Severn River's wind-swept course in 6:08, notched their eighth consecutive Haines Cup.

Captain Dave Harman, who stroked the varsity boat, said that the crew was quite satisfied with the margin of victory. "We didn't have a very good start as during the first 500 meters both boats were hit by strong cross winds. Once we settled, however, the boat began to move and we had open water on them by 1000 meters."

Over a length of the varsity's four-boat length margin came with the last 30 strokes as they climbed to 38 perminute for the final sprint.

Harvard's JV's rowed what coach Steve Gladstone called "their best race of the year," Faced with strong cross winds and wash from uncontrolled lauches, the Crimson rowed home in 6:17, nearly four lengths ahead of the Middies.

The freshmen lightweights of Harvard outdistanced what coach Bo Anderson called "a stronger Navy crew than we expected" by just over one length.