Golfers Face Yale, Princeton

"Before the season started, we set four goals: win the Greater Bostons, beat Dartmouth, win the Big Three match and win the Easterns," Crimson golfer John Stoviak said yesterday.

In the last five days, the Crimson golfers have won the Greater Bostons and beaten Dartmouth. Before the next two weekends are over they'll know how they stand on the other half of their pre-season hopes.

Today the linksman will play the second annual Big Three golf match against Princeton and Yale at the Springdale Golf Course in Princeton. Next weekend, the E.I.G.A. championship and an NCAA berth will be on the line, as the Crimson travels to New Haven for the Easterns.

Today's Match

Stoviak commented that the Crimson golfers are especially looking forward to today's contest. "There's do doubt we'll put more into this one against Yale and Princeton than against Tufts and Amberst. We'll just try a little harder-at least subconsciously," he said.

Going into this afternoon's match, the Harvard golfers stand at 5-3 and seem to be gaining strength with every contest. "That win over Dartmouth really psyched us up. We were starting to doubt ourselves after the first three or four meets, but now we feel we can beat any team on a given day," Stoviak said.

Big Test

That confidence will be sorely tested today, as both the Elis and Tigers are having fine seasons. Yale stands 12-2 on the year, while Princeton is 8-2.

Princeton coach John Quackenbush expressed confidence in his team yesterday, stressing that the home course would be a definite advantage in the Big Three match. "We're in pretty good shape. We've got seven good golfers this year. If two let down, there are always five others to carry the load. Our strength is definitely in our depth," Quackenbush said.

The Tigers are led by three-year veteran and captain Pat Chambers. Sophomore Andy Wilcox has been having some hot days for his squad in the last few meets, although word has it, he uses women's clubs.

Yale

Despite Yale's impressive record, Harvard can find a little hope in the Eli's loss to Holy Cross last week, 392-399. Harvard beat Holy Cross by four strokes on Thursday.

Coach Paul Amodio's Bulldogs are led by captain Paul Collier. Yale, like Princeton, has a sophomore standout-Todd Robbins-who has been having his share of good days.

At stake in today's contest is the John Reid trophy, which was won by Yale last year, the first season that saw the three teams meet on the same day. The Reid family donated the trophy in honor of grandfather John, a graduate of Princeton, who brought the game of golf to America from Scotland.