A Touch of Garlic

By Robert W. Gerlach

Freshmen deserve a warning concerning the first two weeks of Ivy League football, games when the Ivy schools meet outside competition. We win. Some may call it egotism, pre-season tune-up, or coincidence, but since 1961 Harvard has never rescheduled a meeting with a non-league team that beat it the year before. The Crimson only has lost three of its opening duo since 1961, but Holy Cross, Bucknell, and B.U. were promptly reprimanded in the following schedule.

Recently, however, Holy Cross and Bucknell got even with the Crimson. In 1968, Bucknell embarrassed a Harvard Freshman Parents' Day crowd by losing to the Crimson 59-0. Holy Cross made the Crimson blush when the team came down with hepatitis shortly after battling Harvard to a close 13-0 Crimson win. These two performances were not exactly appreciated, so both received the scheduling ax.

But there is something to be said for a little back-slapping in the opening schedule. College Football is gone from my home town, a victim of, budget cuts and dwindling student support at the University of Buffalo. Yet, other schools are cutting the budget and losing fans, and the game goes on. Buffalo's big problem was its schedule. For several years in the early '60's the Bulls ran through the local competition (Gettysburg, Bucknell, Villanova, B.U.), so the administration began scheduling two opening games with nationally recognized teams (North Carolina State, Toledo, Ohio University). Unfortunately, the pattern became set for the Bulls to open with two losses by scores of 7-36 followed by lopsided wins over the likes of Gettysburgh.

Buffalo set out to prove where it stood in national competition, proved it, and soon lost its fans for the little league games. So maybe its a good thing for Harvard to plan on opening with two wins. It gives the team spirit, builds fan interest, but more importantly it's entertaining to watch a team win, and it's much more rewarding to travel through the Ivy League contests without the tint of competitive realism. And, therefore, for the Freshman Class, I salute you Holy Cross and Northeastern, martyrs to Ivy League Security.

BROWN-Rhode Island--Most of the Brown student body is up bright and early on a Saturday morning, anxious to hurry over for good seats at Aldrich-Dexter Field. Unfortunately for gridiron players, the soccer team plays at that field. There's no soccer game this morning, so before the freshman class and the Brown band, which gets credit for being there, the Bruins begin a rebuilding year. Brown is always rebuilding, and they usually rebuild to the tune of two victories. This is one of them, 21-13.

COLUMBIA-Lafayette--Ranked in the top ten worst teams in the nation for the past few years, the Lions are about to become as big a collegiate football powerhouse as crosstown rivals NYU, CCNY, and Barnard. The Lions won three games last fall for their best record in eight years, and the sophomore passing combination of Don Jackson and Jesse Parks returns intact and wiser. Playing away from the lopsided Baker Bowl, Parks will not have to run uphill one half of the game, and Columbia will run away, 31-10.

DARTMOUTH-Massachusetts--Bob Blackman has gone to the Big Ten (pity the Illinois second stringers who will never play), so much of the killer instinct may be lost. But new coach Jacke Crouthamel created the Dartmouth defense that won its last four games 117-0. After a week in the north woods, Dartmouth doesn't need Blackman to explode on Saturday. The boys will return to isolation after 3 triumph.

PENN-Lehigh--The Quakers return lettermen at every position which means that they can successfully defend their ranking in the bottom ten. Penn has lost its ethnic: flare and offensive spark in quarterback Pancho Micir, but Lehigh once scored a total of 25 points in 21 games with Penn. Rumors had it that Dick Harter was going to double as basketball and football coach this year, but Dick insisted that none of his players would wear sissy pads. Penn will prevail, 21-7.

RUTGERS-Princeton--Last year Rutgers deserved credit for the best offensive show in Harvard Stadium. Unfortunately, the award belonged to their defense. Princeton, with its leading runner and passer returning, has a history of winning the big games and blowing the little ones. They don't come much smaller than this. Rutgers 24-Princeton 20.

YALE-Connecticut--For four years the Eli have won practically everything that hasn't been played in Harvard Stadium. Carmen Cozza has the same tenacious defense and he has spiced up the offense with several new plays, such as the two minute-two touchdown drill and the Crone "last tag" sprint through the end zone. Add to this the opposition and it spells Yale, 24-10.

HARVARD-Holy Cross--Canadian football requires a first down on two plays or you punt, so today should be the unveiling of a wide-open offensive show. No matter how healthy they are, the Crusaders should be dizzy after the game. The Harvard Band will tell Holy Cross to "eat your sacred heart out" as the Crimson rolls to a 28-13 win.