Freshman Skaters Trounce Unsuspecting Bruins, 12-3

In a game highlighted by a seven goal third period, the Harvard freshman hockey team embarrassed visiting Brown yesterday, 12-3.

The scoring parade was led by center Randy Roth with 4 goals, center Leigh Hogan with 2 goals and 1 assist, and wing Steven Dagdigian with 1 goal and 4 assists. As a result of his performance Dagdigian took over the team's scoring leadership with a total of 15 points, with Hogan and Roth tied with 13 points each.

Stiff checking and hard skating by Crimson defensemen Janicek and Seannell, and fine goal-tending by Rick Moseley, allowed the Bruins only 3 goals, and marked an unusually fine performance.

The Yardlings dominated play in the first period, scoring three goals while holding the surprised Bruins scoreless until the last four seconds of the period.

The Crimson scored twice in the second, getting goals from Janicek and Hogan, and quick goals by Dagdigian, Hogan, and Roth in the first three minutes of the final period put the game on ice. Four more goals before the buzzer left the Bruins visibly stunned.

The Yardlings faced Brown yesterday at home following an early season loss to the Bruins at Providence, 3-2. In that game the freshman blew a 2-1 lead when Brown put in two goals at the end of the game.

The victory upped the Crimson's record to 5-2, and could indicate an end to the problems which hindered the team early in the season.

Although the squad is not as strong as the 1969-70 team which compiled a record of 20-1, it has shown great promise under coach Tim Taylor. "These boys are intelligent and have good hockey sense," Taylor said after today's win.

The season has been highlighted by fine wins over Merrimack J.V. 5-3, B.C. 12-3. Penn 4-2 and Bowdoin 8-1. Against B.U. and Brown however, the Yardlings had several bad breaks. At B.U., the team squandered a 5-1 lead late in the third period and lost 6-5 in overtime. The team then faced Brown away and lost 3-2.