Voter Registration Effort Opens at Harkness Today

By Leo FJ. Wilking

Voting registrars from the Cambridge Board of Elections come to Harvard today to begin five consecutive days of registering University students, faculty and employees.

But the Office for Graduate and Career Plans has warned some undergraduates from outside Massachusetts that by declaring Cambridge their legal residence they lower their eligibility for some state universities and fellowship grants.

This week's schedule for the registrars is as follows

Monday, Oct. 1. 11:30-2 p.m. at Harkness Commons, the Law School:

Tuesday. 7-9 p.m. at the Lowell House Junior Common Room:

Wednesday. 7-9 p.m. at Peabody Terrace.

Thursday. 5-7 p.m. at the Freshman Union.

Friday. 12-2 p.m. at Lehman Hall Dudley House.

Dean Epps said Friday that the University will provide list of students resident in dormitories to the election commissioners. If necessary, Genevieve Austm, Assistant Dean of Students, will certify in writing that a student is in fact a dormitory resident.

However, it is not yesterday whether students will be allowed to register if they merely indicate Cambridge is there present residence Edward Samp to the Election Commissioner in charge of this week's effort at Harvard said last week that in his opinion, the election laws require proof that an individual intends to remain in a locality for "the foreseeable future."

Representatives of McGovern Shriver headquarters in Cambridge, the Cambridge Civic Association and the Democratic City Committee have promised to challenge this interpretation before the full Board of Elections or in the courts.

Roger Dunn, a staff assistant at the OGCP said yesterday that it is advantageous for a student to claim residence in the state of the school where he or she most wants to be accepted.

The main thing we're concerned about is medical school admissions and law school admissions, where often there are high quotas," Dunn said. He said that the importance of this factor varies with different schools and "how much they're checking into it."

Dunn also noted that students who register to vote in Cambridge, even if they claim an address elsewhere in the country, will be required to pay the Massachusetts state income tax and register any motor vehicle they might own in this state.