Chess Club Speed Tournament Ends in Draw

Koretsky vs. Leverett

By Amanda Bennett

The Harvard Chess Club's third speed tournament of the year pitted club president Peter Koretsky Against vice president Bruce Leverett and ended in a 9-1 drew after brilliant maneuvers by both players.

"Speed chess lets you play more games in one evening with a lot of nice fast action and more chances of upsets," Leverett said yesterday. A speed tournament allow five minutes of play per person per game, so strategy must be quick and decisive.

Leverett proved his own statement about frequent upon by entering the crucial last round a heavy favorite with a 6-0 score, yet being soundly defeated by Koretsky's alert play.

Early Defeat

Sophomore Koretsky himself was overturned in one of his easy games by Steve Rayport and entitled the final round with a 3-1 record.

This tournament was smaller than the two previous owns held this year, but extremely strong sometimes. The first tournament drew 27 entries and was won by Harold Beas, an expert with a national rating of 21-32 points.

Yesterday's nine entries made up for the lack of quantity by the high quality of play. Four of them were united at class A, with a national rating of 1000 or above.