Dartmouth Stays Tops in Ivy Race

Yale, Penn Also Win to Share Second

As Rod Foster blazed by Brown to lift Harvard to solitary possession of third place in the Ivy League football tankings Dartmouth retained its hold on the top position and Yale and Penn both won to share second place in furious action in the Ivy title race Saturday.

At Ithica N.Y. Dartmouth eliminated Cornell's title hopes 31-22, as the Big Green defense produced numerous clutch and Steve Stetson and Rick Klupchak provided key offensive plays in the final quarter.

Dartmouth's defense thwarted Big Red attacks three times inside the 12-yard-line within a five minute span at the end of the third period and the start of the fourth.

Cornell outplayed in the first half relentlessly tried to reduce Dartmouth's 17-7 halftime edge but fell to the three goalline stands by the Big Green.

Yale also displayed a stiff defense, as the Elis, aided by a three touchdown performance by halfback Dick Jauron blasted Princeton, 31-7, in New Haven. The 95th meeting of the two teams was decided in the first two quarters as Yale amassed 200 yards in total offense while holding the Tigers to just 60.

Jauron's third score raised his career total to 26, erasing a Yale record set by Calvin Hill.

Meanwhile in Philadelphia, Penn extended its three game streak by rallying from a 14-0 deficit to topple Columbia, 20-14.

The Quakers capitalizing on a punchless Lion offense, tallied a last minute first-half touchdown and then scored once in each of the final two periods to win. The triumph kept Penn in the running for the Ivy crown and created a dramatic setting for its final-game showdown against Dartmouth next Saturday at Penn.

Penn coach Harry Gamble was apprehensive about the key test.

Dartmouth's balanced attack really is something to worry about, but if we don't make too many mistakes. I feel we'll win "Gamble said last night. "This has been one topsy turvy year."