Eli Booters Top Frosh, 3-2; Post First Unbeaten Season

Yale's Conrad Marchaj took advantage of Harvard defensive errors to knock in three goals in leading the Elis to a 3-2 win Wednesday. Yale ended the season with an unblemished 10-0 record, the first undefeated freshman soccer squad in Eli history.

Harvard played a catch-up game throughout the second half, almost pulling an upset over the talented Eli team late in the game on a goal by Bob McGee and two near-mins scoring attempts by Bob Thompson.

The Crimson looked ready for victory when the game started, as they kept the hall in Yale territory for the opening 20 minutes of play. Harvard's John Littlefield notched an assist on McGee's goal to give the Crimson a 1-0 edge midway through the half.

But Yale stole the ball in their own territory and drove across the field with crisp short passes. Marchaj got by the Crimson defenders and knocked in a goal from live feet, lying the score 1-1 before halftime.

Two More

Marchaj scored again early in the second half by successfully during Harvard defenders and scaring close to the set. Sixteen minutes later, its scored another goal on a difficult running short from the right corner to put the Elis ahead, 3-1.

"We might have given Yale their first two goals, but that third one was well-done." Harvard coach Dana Getchell said after the game. "Yale played fine ball."

The Crimson failed to overtake the Elis, despite McGee's score for Harvard with seven minutes left in the game. "Both team played exceedingly well, but there's no doubt about the Yale played a better game," Getchell said.

Snow and Wind

A light snow and heavy wind prevented Getchell from substituting players during the first half. "The guys on the branch were brown and the only way to get at Yale was to keep the starting game," he said. "The cold and possible tiredness of the players might have affected the outcome of the game, but I think we did an excellent job on the field," Harvard closed its season with a 4-2 record.

Relter Effective

Eli captain Don Relter was extremely effective as a playmaker against the Crimson. He constantly initiated penetrating drive and set up teammates with pinpoint passes.