House Defeat Yale Colleges

Crimson Grabs Football, Soccer Crowns

Quincy House and Eliot House emerged Tuesday as victors in competition against Yale for the House-College intramural championship in football and soccer.

Quincy House downed Berkeley College 7-6 on a muddy field in extremely cold weather when a fumble on an extra point attempt after a Berkeley touch down brought Quincy its margin of victory in a defensive battle.

First Score

Quincy scored first on a 45 yard pass from quarterback Roger Meltzer to Joseph Zwemer in the final play of the first half The pass bounced off a Quincy receiver and a Berkeley defender before it was finally caught.

Berkeley's score came two plays after another Meltzer pass was intercepted and run back to the Quincy Harvard line.

Eliot House claimed the soccer championship by downing Yale's Pretson College 2-0 James Huck scored first for Eliot taking advantages choose ball in front of the net. Ben Eden added a second score later on a direct kick.

In other intramural football games. Eliot House and Sillman College played to a scoreless tie. Eliot played well defensively, but their offense was unable to move the ball.

Winthrop House defeated Branford College, 140 on two first-half touchdowns.

Winthrop took the opening kickoff--are on sides kick--on the 50-yard line, and matched to a touchdown in ten plays. Ron Dreckmann carried over for the score on a power sweep to the left side, and Winthrop concerted for two points.

In the second quarter. Paul Nixon scored for Winthrop on a reverse to the left side but his team missed the extra point.

The second half was marked by tight defensive play on both sides and no scoring.

In other soccer action. Calthoun College defeated Leverett House 4-0.

No tough football or freshman centesta were held, because Yale was unable to field teams to play Harvard so close to Thanksgiving vacation.

In the absence of a Yale team, the Harvard freshman intramural touch football team played Lowell House, an won 13-0.