Matmen Meet Columbia, URI Today; Crimson's Chances Slim for First Win

The frustrated Harvard varsity matmen humiliated in a 396 loss Thursday to California State Polytech, will be trying for their win of the season today at Columbia in a triangular meet against Columbia and the University of Rhode Island.

The prospects for the Crimson in proving its dismal 0-4 record don't look promising. The Lions, who defeated the Crimson last December, have won three of four matches this year, URI, whom Harvard has not wrested in recent years, has a highly regarded strongly recruited wrestling program.

John I Powers, assistant director of sports information at Harvard said yesterday. "I wouldn't be surprised if we lost both of these matches."

The meeting of the three teams, three dual meetings, will open at 11 a.m. as Harvard and the Lions face each other. URI's matches with the Crimson and Columbia, separated by a 20-minute break, will follow the Ivy League match.

Victories for Harvard wrestlers look probable in three of the ten weight divisions. Richie Starr, who pinned his opponent in the last two minutes for the Crimson's only victory, will wrestle URI's William Sargent and Columbia's sophomore sensation, John Waller. Waller has pinned every opponent he has faced this year.

In the lightest division. 118-lbs., captain Dan Blakinger, who lost his first match of the season Thursday, should edge both URI's Richard Adham and Lion co-captain Sal Lanuto. Blakinger handed Lanuto his only loss last year. Finally, John Keough should take the 167-lb. division.

The results in the other weight divisions are unpredictable. Freshman Bill Haley will wrestle as a 126-pounder, and Mitch Silverman will continue as a replacement for the injured Carl Biello in the 134-lb. division. George Baker will represent Harvard in the 142-lb group.

Mike Dee and Rock Hinkel will wrestle as 150 and 158 Pounder and Jim Strathmever will grapple in the 177-lb. division. Paul Dowling will go in the unlimited division.

The Crimson was disappointing in its first three matches. In their season opener, the matmen lost, 27-12. Then, Cornell pinned the wrestlers by an even wider margin, 25-9. Harvard dropped its third match, 22-12, to the University of Massachusetts.