House Committee to Examine Master's Role in Admissions

Members of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life will review the role of the Master in House admissions, a member of CHUL and the Adams House Committee said yesterday.

Lewis R. Clayton '75, said that the Master's preference is only crucial in admissions to Houses which are oversubscribed.

Master's Preference

The Master at present reviews all first choice applications to his House and may indicate his preference for admission. William Liller '48, Master of Adams House and Zeph Stewart. Master of Lowell House, said yesterday that a Master's preference is often determined by recommendations by tutors and House members.

The student's own preference and a diversity quota also determine House placement. The diversity quota attempts to balance each House according to academic grouping area of concentration, secondary school background and male female ratio.

First Choice

These factors are fed into a computer which determines the student's placement. Last year the computer placed about 60 per cent of the freshman applicants in their first choice House and about 90 per cent in a House which was one of their five choices, Clayton said.

The remaining 10 per cent were placed in Radcliffe Houses which they had not requested. Clayton said that these students were upset about their misplacement.

"Houses are not balanced by the diversity ratios because student's choice and Master's preference are given preference," Clayton said. He questioned whether all factors were weighted equally by the computer.

Stewart said yesterday that a Master's preference should be given "minimal priority" in House placement. He added that the criteria of student choice and House balancing should be given greater priority.

The Adams House Committee will poll Adams House members on their opinions of Masters' preference, Clayton said. He hopes that other House committees will do the same so that in the Spring he can present the survey's results to the CHUL.