B.U. Skates Past Hockey Team, 4-1

Crimson Blows Beanpot, ECAC No. 1 Rank

By Evan W. Thomas

B.U.'s hockey team nailed down its claim to number one in the East last night, humiliating a very flat Harvard team, 4-1, and capturing the Beanpot for the fourth straight year.

The score and the pattern of the game were identical to the Terriers' Beanpot triumph over the Crimson a year ago. B.U.'s power play was hot, netting three goals, while Harvard's power play was pathetic, scoring none despite seven chances.

Egged on by the majority of B.U. partisans among the 15,000 fans packing the Garden, the Terriers came out flying on their first shift, but Harvard settled down and dominated the first ten minutes of play.

Doug Elliott picked up a penalty at 12:06, however, and it took B.U.'s power play only 12 seconds to turn the game around. B.U. captain John Danby took a good centering pass from Ron Anderson and popped home a 30 footer from the slot, beating partially screened Joe Bertagna to the upper right hand corner.

Harvard looked fairly flat for the remainder of the period, with the exception of an excellent scoring chance blown by a wide-open Bob Goodenow, who semi-fanned on a backhander from five feet. Harvard had an 11-10 shooting advantage for the period, but B.U. goalie Dan Brady was superb.

B.U.'s power play found Elliott in the penalty box again early in the second period, and once again the Terriers wasted little time. Five seconds into the penalty, B.U. defenseman Ric Jordan took a pass from Danby and drove a point shot into the upper left hand corner of the Harvard net to make it 2-0 at 3:02.

The rest of the period was painful for the Harvard supporters scattered through the stands. In a ten minute stretch. B.U. was penalized four times in a row, and each time, Harvard's power play looked terrible, coming up with an occasional off-target point shot and few good chances.

Harvard looked particularly sick in the final period, throwing away another man-up opportunity without getting off one good shot. B.U. iced the game at 11:10, as Thunder Thornton knocked in a rebound of a long Anderson slapshot to finish off a fast break. B.U.'s power play humiliated the Crimson again at 13:03, with tournament MVP Danby picking up his second goal after walking through the Harvard defense and casually flipping a backhander past Bertagna.

Andy Burnes finally saved a little face for Harvard, firing a 30-foot backhander into an open net while Brady lay out of position, submerged under a pile of players. Only six minutes remained, however, and as the B.U. cheerleaders gleefully screamed, the fans started going home.

The referees were very unfair to B.U., and the fans registered their disapproval with roaring boos in the third period. The frequent B.U. penalties gave Harvard a 32-27 shooting advantage, but that statistic became meaningless after the Terrier's penalty killers and power play ruined the Crimson.

B.U. goalie Brady was hot, earning MVP honors along with Danby, and his 31 saves made Harvard look even worse than they were. Bertagna was less impressive, stopping only 23 shots