Fencers Rout Trinity Squad In Preparation for Princeton

The Harvard fencing team gained further momentum for Saturday's big match with Princeton when it overwhelmed a weak Trinity squad yesterday, 24-3.

Coach Edo Marion, looking ahead to the important match with the Tigers, chose to go with his starters until the end, even after it became apparent that the contest was a mismatch. "I wanted to work the lineup we'll be using Saturday," Marion said.

Trinity could manage only one win in each division, and the Trojan's poor showing surprised everyone. "They really are pretty good for a New England team--I never expected such a killing!" Marion said.

Harvard Captain Geza Tatrallyay echoed his coach's sentiments. "They are better than Holy Cross, but it seemed that everybody had an off night for them," he said.

It appeared, at times, that the Crimson fencers were toying with their foes, seeking practice rather than quick victory, and the atmosphere at the IAB fencing room was more playful than competitive.

The Trinity squad consists of "naturalistic" fencers, a polite term in fencing circles for "poorly schooled." They really never had much of a chance.

In the sabre, the Crimson's Terry Valenzuela and Gordon Ruttledge each swept his three bouts, and Loren Joseph, fencing in place of Ken Hetzler, lost only one.

The foil team was equally impressive Don Valentine continued to show the style and skill that made him the number two foiler last year, by winning three matches, being touched only twice all afternoon. Emile Godfrey handily disposed of all his opponents, and Dave Fichter took two of his three bouts.

The strong Crimson epee squad was equally proficient. Tatrallyay and sophomore Eugene White each won three bouts without a loss, while Ken Bartels lost only one bout which kept him from an undefeated afternoon.

It was evident that the Crimson has regained its confidence, which pleased Marion. "There is no reason we should not beat Princeton," he said.