M. D. Gets Interdisciplinary Professorship Of Law and Psychiatry at Law School

The fields of law and psychiatry were united yesterday as the Law School announced and appointment to a novel interdisciplinary professorship.

Alan A. Stone '50, an associate professor of psychiatry and a lecturer in the interrelationship between Psychiatry and law, was named to become professor of Law and Psychiatry.

When his appointment takes effect on July I, Stone will become the second professor at the Law School who does not hold a law degree.

Stone--who holds an M.D.--has been a lecturer at the Law School since 1969, and will retain his current position as an associate professor of Psychiatry at the Medical School.

Stone's work in the interdiscipline has included insanity defense, identification of potential offenders, family law and the psychological aspects of legal practice.

He has taught courses at the Law School dealing with application of psychological models of man to jurisprudence, civil rights of the mentally ill and family law.

Tribe Promoted

The Law School will announce today that Laurence H. Tribe'62 will become a professor of Law as of July 1.

Tribe--who became assistant professor of Law in 1968-- is noted for his work in the control of technology, environmental protection and the roles and limits of mathematics in processes of proof and decision.

Tribe has served as a Law clerk to Potter Steward of the U.S. Supreme Court. He is currently a consultant to several Federal agencies.