Court Opens Trial of Helfand Today

Ira Helfand '72 goes to trial this morning to face charges of criminal trespass brought against him by the University.

Helfand has subpoenaed President Bok. Dean Dunlop, Richard J. Herrnstein, professor of Psychology, and Donald F. Anderson, lecturer on Social Relations, to act as defense witnesses at his trial. Helfand said yesterday that all those subpoenaed had been present at one or more of the trespasses with which he is charged.

The trial is scheduled to take place in the Third Middlesex District Court in East Cambridge.

"Between Gulf. Herrnstein, the SDS convention and the graduate students' complaints. Harvard is in a lot of trouble, and they are trying to scare people." Helfand said yesterday.

"I think the reason Harvard brought charges against me, and the reason they brought CRR charges against Bonnie (Blustein '72) and Alan (J. Garfinkel, a grad student), is because they're afraid the University is going to get shutdown this Spring," he added.

Blustein and Garfinkel appeared before the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR) Friday, on charges of harassing Herrnstein.

Helfand has called a rally for the trial at 9 a.m. today in Lehman Hall. He said he hopes to get supporters to follow him to the trial.