Picasso Stolen From Fogg

By Joyce Heard

The major portion of a highly-valued Picasso painting was stolen from the Fogg Art Museum yesterday afternoon, a Fogg official revealed last night.

A guard discovered the central element of the 1914 Picasso collage, titled "Small Composition," to be missing at 1 p.m.

The painting was on loan to the Fogg as a part of an exhibition of cubist paintings being studied by Fine Arts 13 and two other Fine Arts courses.

Daniel Robbins, director of the Fogg, would not reveal the owner of the painting or give an estimate of the painting's value, however he did say that the owner carries insurance on the painting.

According to Robbins the thief apparently tore off the central portion of the collage by hand or with a knife, leaving part of the painting and the frame intact.

"Whoever stole it must have been deranged or greedy because he'll never be able to dispose of the piece and the rest of the painting is ruined," Robbins said.

Cambridge Police have dusted the painting for fingerprints and police detectives are hoping to make a thorough search for the thief.

Robbins said the painting must have been stolen at about 12:45 because several students reported seeing it intact at 12:30.

Peak Period

The painting was stolen during one of the Fogg's peak periods, while there were at least a hundred people--students and members of the public--in the museum, Robbins said.