Helfand May Face Trespass Charge

Ira Helfand '72 may face legal action for trespassing on Harvard property, Lawrence F. Stevens '65, assistant to the dean of the College, said yesterday.

Last June, the CRR suspended Helfand and barred him from University property for "harassing" Sargent Kennedy '28, then secretary to the Corporation.

Helfand admitted yesterday in the lobby of Emerson Hall that he has violated the CRR ruling. "They don't want people who organize around Communist ideas." Helfand said. But he said that he would remain on the campus to fight in the "campaign against (Richard J.) Herrnstein (professor of Psychology)."

On Wednesday, Steven saw Helfand at a meeting of Social Sciences 15, "Introduction to Psychology," taught by Herrnstein. Stevens said he warned Helfand to leave the premises and that Helfand left Burr Hall to pass out leaflets. A few minutes later, he re-entered the building, Stevens said. Helfand said yesterday that all of Steven's allegations are correct.

Later that night, Helfand attended a Science Table dinner at Eliot House which featured Herrnstein as the speaker. Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, acting in his "capacity as a House Master and a University official," ordered Helfand to leave Eliot House. (Steiner had previously warned Helfand about staying away from Harvard on February 24, during the mill-in at University Hall.) Helfand ignored the order, and remained at the dinner.

Charles W. Burnham, professor of Mineralogy and chairman of the CRR, said that he was unaware of Helfand's alleged trespass at Eliot House.

No Action Planned

Burnham said the CRR was not planning any new actions against Helfand.

The responsibility for enforcing the CRR's ruling against Halfand rest with Dean Whitlock's office. Stevens said that Helfand "has shown no particular inclination to observe the terms of his discipline.