Four Harvard Students Win Offices; Two Fall Short In Local Elections

Four Harvard students were elected Monday to local offices in the Boston area. Two other students suffered defeat.

Jane C. Edmonds '73 of Sharon was one of two people elected to the Sharon School Committee. She received 1333 votes to beat her nearest rival by 458 votes, scoring an upset she called "unbelievable."

Edmonds, a black, is the 30-year-old mother of four and graduated from Cambridge High and Latin in 1959. She was admitted to Radcliffe as a sophomore in 1970.

Nathaniel B. Guild '73, Daniel I. Small '75, and Robert B. Kent Jr. '75 were elected to the Lexington town board. Running in the Third Precinct, Small received 637 votes and Kent 587, giving them fifth and eighth places respectively.

In the First Precinct, Guild garnered 520 votes, enough for 13th place, while Richard Heller '74 came in 19th with 442 votes, not enough for a seat.

Small and Kent each won three-year terms, but Guild's 13th-place finish won him a seat vacated with two years remaining in its term, one of three extra offices in the First Precinct election.

Guild said yesterday that he supports a land-acquisition program for conservation purposes. His goal is to prevent roads, parking lots and other such constructions which destroy valuable land.

Happy

Guild said he was happy with his victory, but added he was even "more happy with the outcome of the election of Lexington selectmen." In that election, Sanborn C. Brown and incumbent Fred C. Bailey won the two open seats, defeating incumbent Robert Cataldo.

In Dover, John M. Hughes III '74 was defeated in his try for a position on the Dover-Sherborn Regional School Committee. Hughes's 485 votes placed him second to Alden L. Reynolds. Reynolds won the election with 631 votes.