Laxmen Defeat Williams, 8-4; Crimson Takes First Victory

The varsity lacrosse team earned its first victory of the season yesterday with an unimpressive 8-4 win over Williams.

The Crimson played a strong first half, going into the dressing room with a 5-0 margin. However, Harvard almost gave up its commanding lead in the third period, as the Ephmen tallied three times in the first three minutes of the second half.

Williams and Harvard each scored once toward the end of the third period, and the Crimson started the last quarter with a 6-4 lead. Garth Ballantyne and co-captain Verdi DiSesa tallied in the last period to secure the Crimson victory.

Attackman John Hagerty led Harvard's offense with two goals and four assists. The Crimson scored five goals from midfield, with DiSesa earning the hat trick.

Disaster

Although Harvard outshot Williams, 42-28, the Crimson performance was a disappointment compared to last year's 19-3 victory. Harvard's record is now 1-3, the win over Williams coming after a disastrous Southern trip.

Williams coach Renzie Lamb said, "The field was very muddy, and we're much smaller than Harvard. Under the conditions, Harvard was able to take special advantage of their size. However, the Crimson played a very good game anyway."

Harvard's laxmen will be looking for their first Ivy League win this Saturday when they face Princeton on the B-School field.