Sailing Team Places Fourth In First Race of the Season

By Bradford B. Kopp

Harvard's varsity sailing team--rebuilding after the graduation last year of two All-Americans and boasting mainly juniors and sophomores--placed fourth out of five schools in the Greater Bostons Monday and in the Geiger Trophy regatta Sunday, both on the Charles.

"We are starting all over again," coach Mike Horn said yesterday. "But in addition to our lack of experience, we only had three days of practice before last weekend. We should start getting better right away," he added.

MIT won the Oberg Trophy, emblematic of the greater Boston championship, on Monday, taking 24 points. MIT was followed by Tufts, B.U., Harvard and Northeastern. George Putnam with Rick White as crew was fourth in Division A for the Crimson, while Dave Brownlee with Jeff Maas took a first on the way to a third-place tie in Division B. Chris Middendorf with Edgar Pulitzer was fourth in Division C.

MIT also won the Geiger Trophy on Sunday with Tufts and the University of Rhode Island also ahead of Harvard. Putnam with John Dodge and Brownlee with Doug Libby took third and fifth respectively in the two dinghy divisions. John Bowers was third in the Finn Class, while Middendorf, Clem Wood, and White finished second in the sloop class.

To start off the weekend, the Crimson traveled to the Coast Guard Academy for the eliminations of a yawl regatta next Fall for the MacMillan Cup. Putnam and Brownlee co-skipperred the eight-man yawl to a second place and a birth in the consolations.

Harvard's freshmen are a brighter spot in the sailing picture. Coached by last year's All-American captain Abbott Reeve, the Yardlings won their elimination heat on Saturday for the New England championships at the end of April, where they stand a good chance. On Monday in the Greater Bostons, the freshmen could only manage a third. Tim Black, Ogden Ross, and Steve Saudek formed the backbone of the team's effort.