Laxmen Seek First Ivy Win; Tackle Dartmouth Tomorrow

The varsity lacrosse team seeks its first Ivy League victory tomorrow when it meets Dartmouth on the Business School Field at 2 p.m.

The Big Green is a weak team that has won only 4 out of 11 matches so far this season. Although the Indians have 18 returning lettermen, last year's squad posted an unimpressive 4-10 record.

Dartmouth's only talent lies at midfield, where the Indians boast three veteran starters--Rand Alexander, co-captain Bob Bassett and Al Freihofer. Bassett is the third-leading scorer with 12 goals and 8 assists.

The Big Green attack has suffered this year from the loss of Mike Diaz, who was a top scorer for three seasons before graduating. Junior Scott Anderson now heads Dartmouth's offense with his team-high total of 32 points.

Defense, however, is the Indians' weakest position, as the Big Green has given up 100 scores in 11 games. Regular goalie Mitch Whitely--who has made 155 saves and allowed 94 goals in ten matches--may not play tomorrow because of a sore shoulder.

Harvard's starting lineup remains the same as in Wednesday's match against MIT except that Rick Carey may return to action on second midfield if he has recovered from a severe charley horse suffered at the beginning of the week.

If Carey is still unable to play tomorrow, Linc Caplan will again move up from third midfield to take his place, joining Dave Crawford and Leif Rosenberger.

"If we get better in practice, it should be a good game." Crimson co-captain Bob Green said. "The MIT match was really sloppy--only 13 players had come to practice the day before. I think people now realize that they have to work in order to win the next two games," he said.

Physical

Green added that he expects tomorrow's game to be especially physical. "Both times I've played Dartmouth there have been fights," he said, "but those games were at Hanover, and I don't know if the Big Green Indians are different on the road."

Like Harvard, Dartmouth is shooting for its first Ivy League win of the season. Since 1965, Dartmouth has registered only two League victories, both over the Crimson. The Indians downed Harvard, 9-6, in 1969, and gained a forfeit win during the strike in 1970.

The Crimson currently holds a 2-7 record. Last year a strong Harvard squad trounced the Indians, 9-3.