Crimson Nine Lose Lead With Split

By Eric Pope

Harvard's hitters produced more runs over the weekend than they had in the seven previous EIBL games this season, and it looked as if the Crimson was going to climb into first place with a three-game sweep of Army and Cornell when the Big Red scored six runs in the eighth inning to win the second game of Saturday's doubleheader, 14-8. Harvard beat the Cadets the day before, 7-5, and earlier in the afternoon Roz Brayton delivered his customary shut-out while his teammates hit three home runs to humiliate the former league leaders, 14-0.

Dartmouth beat Cornell on Friday, 4-3, then swept a doubleheader from Army, 3-0 and 3-1. The split with Cornell left the Crimson half a game behind the Indians with a league record of 7-3. Cornell dropped to third place with a mark of 5-3, while Dartmouth is now 8-2-1, the tie coming against Penn last weekend.

Harvard will try to wrap up the Greater Boston League championship today and tomorrow when it plays Holy Cross and Northeastern. The game against the Crusaders starts at 3 p.m. at Soldiers Field. Barry Malinowski will be on the mound for the Crimson.

Impressive Juggling

With the exception of Brayton, it was a bad weekend for the Crimson pitching staff. EIBL opponents had scored only ten runs off Harvard in seven games, but Army and Cornell combined for nineteen tallies in two games, 16 of which were earned. Fortunately, coach Loyal Park's juggling act with the Crimson line-up produced some impressive results.

The hero of Friday's game was catcher Tim Bilodeau, who started a rally every time he came to bat. After Harvard had scored three times in the first inning on singles by Toby Harvey, Larry Barbiaux and Jim Stoekel and a sacrifice fly by Kevin Hampe, Bilodeau led off the second with a triple. He later scored on a triple by McGugan.

Bilodeau led off the fourth inning with another triple, and came home when McGugan reached base on a force play. The fielder's choice proved to be a bad one, as McGugan stole second and third, and then scored on a sacrifice fly by Barbiaux.

Sacrifice Makes Perfect Day

Bilodeau made it a perfect day in the sixth, when he drew a walk, moved to second on a sacrifice, stole third, and came home on a sacrifice fly by McGugan.

Norm Walsh was making his first start since the southern trip, and although control problems got him into trouble in the fourth when Army scored twice, he had command of the Cadets until the eighth.

Army rattled off four singles to knock out the sophomore righthander, and Malinowski yielded another before he was able to put out the fire. Mike O'Malley got the last two outs in the ninth to preserve Walsh's victory.

In the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday, Harvard pounded out 17 hits to give Brayton more runs than he would need for an entire season. The junior lefthander became the first pitcher in the league to win four games, and Cornell's only hit of the game didn't come until the sixth inning. Brayton's overall record is now 7-0, and his E.R.A. remains a perfect 0.00.

Come Out, Come Out

Meanwhile the Harvard hitters were wreaking havoc on what was on paper the best staff in the league. Starter John Dougherty came into the game with an E.R.A. of 1.76, but in the second inning he couldn't get anyone out. Stoekel led off with a home run, Thomas and Smith singled, Hampe walked, and Bilodeau sent Dougherty to the showers with a double.

John Miknis came in to relieve and lived up to his 1.99 E.R.A. by retiring the next three batters. But whatever he had in the second wasn't there in the third, and Harvard exploded for five more runs.

Barbiaux singled and trotted home in front of Stoekel's second home run. Thomas and Smith doubled, and a single by Hampe produced Cornell's third pitcher, Bill Haley.

Haley utilized a double play to end the threat. He got out of a bases-loaded situation with another one in the fourth after Stoekel had singled and scored for the third time in the game. In the fifth Brayton doubled and McGugan homered, and the Crimson got two unearned runs off of the fourth Cornell pitcher in the sixth to round out the romp.

In the second game Harvard turned three first inning errors into three runs, and singles by pitcher Sandy Weissant, McGugan and Smith added two more in the second.

But the tide quickly turned in the third inning when McGugan was ejected for fighting after a Big Red runner shredded his right stocking on a force play. The next batter hit a three-run homer, and after a single and a walk, Mike O'Malley came in to relieve Weissant. Before the side was out, Cornell had scored eight times.

Anyzeski Makes Name

Cornell pitcher Alfred Anyzeski had made a name for himself earlier this season when he threw a four-hitter against Arizona State. He contributed a single and a bases-loaded triple to the big rally. But when his lack of control allowed another Harvard run in the bottom of the third. Cornell's ace righthander Steve Storey came in to pitch the rest of the game.

Stockel scored in the fourth inning on a walk, a wild pitch and an error, and O'Malley retired the side in order three times before getting into trouble in the seventh, when Brayton came in with men on first and second to get the third out.

Harvard tied the game with two outs in the last inning. Barbiaux reached base on an error and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Hampe. Storey got the second out on a pop up, but Art Serrano, who was filling in for McGugan at second base, lined a triple to right for the tying run.

The next inning was anti-climatic, to say the least. Cornell scored six runs on two hits to salvage a split in a doubleheader and something to talk about on the long ride back to Ithaca