Eleanor T. Glueck, Crime Researcher, Dies Unexpectedly

Eleanor Touroff Glueck, lifetime partner with her husband in pioneering the study of crime and delinquency at the Law School, was found deed yesterday morning at her home. She was 74.

Cambridge police said yesterday that Sheldon Glueck. Pound Professor of Law, Emeritus, found his wife, face down in their bathtub at about 8 a.m.

Charles A. Robinson, associate medical examiner, ordered an autopsy but was unable to provide findings last night.

Glueck retired as a research associate in Criminology at the Law School in 1964 after 36 years on the staff. Her husband became Pound Professor of Law, Emeritus, in 1963. Both continued active research after their retirements.

The Gluecks earliest joint major work, "Five Hundred Criminal Careers," published in 1930, was the first extensive audit of the effectiveness of prisons or reformatories.

They also collaborated to produce "Unraveling Juvenile Delinquency," a study which compared 500 delinquent with 500 non-delinquent boys over a ten year period.

Their followup publication on these subjects in 1968 was the first such controlled study in the history of criminology.

Both Gluecks received Honorary Doctor of Science Degrees from Harvard in 1958. They were joint recipients of an award from the American Society of Criminology in 1961 for their contributions to the scientific literature of criminology.