RUS Submits Housing Study, Requests Discussion of Merger

The Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) will submit a proposal to the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) endorsing a 1:1 ratio in the Radcliffe Quad Houses and expressing support for a house system similar to Yale's.

The RUS study advocates housing students from all classes in the new freshmen dormitory next year in order to maintain the present upperclassmen-freshmen ratio at the Quad.

RUS president Connie M. Cervilla '74 said yesterday that the housing proposal is just one facet of RUS's concern with the Harvard-Radcliffe relationship.

"Our concern is to find the roots of the problems raised by the merger-non-merger situation," Cervilla said. "RUS has been involved in political type affairs in the past and now we want to deal more with problems concerning the University as a whole rather than simply with those at the Quad."

Cervilla said that upcoming RUS meetings and newsletters will deal issue-by-issue with the status of scholarships, fellowships, admissions, athletics and school size under the non-merger agreement.

RUS plans to sponsor a seminar in January at which trustees and administrators will present pros and cons of the non-merger-merger situation, she said.

A group of Radcliffe Trustees, alumnae and administrators in currently traveling from House to House in an effort to stimulate discussion on the various aspects of merger to be dealt with at RUS meetings.

Cervilla said that RUS members are also compiling suggestions for President Horner and other Radcliffe administrators on recurrent problems of the Radcliffe student. Radcliffe athletics and the small number of fellowships available to women are the major areas to come under consideration, she said.