Nixon's Prosecutor

PRESIDENT NIXON should not be allowed to appoint his own special prosecutor. The dismissal of Archibald Cox '34 and Nixon's statement that he would not let a new prosecutor use the courts to obtain presidential papers relevant to the investigation demonstrate that a Nixon-appointed prosecutor would not have the independence necessary for a complete probe into executive misconduct--especially presidential wrong-doing.

Congress must pass the Hart bill for a judicially appointed special prosecutor answerable only to the courts; if the president vetoes this legislation, Congress must override the veto.

When a special prosecutor is appointed, it should be Archibald Cox. Cox is better aquainted with the case than anyone else and he is able and willing to prosecute the case to the full extent of the law as a more timid and less honest person might not be. Most significantly, he has already shown his strength of will in the face of Nixon's attempt to interfere with the course of justice.

While Congress would be lax if it did not create a strong and independent prosecutor, members of the House must realize that this action is no substitute for speedy impeachment. A special prosecutor must see that guilty individuals be investigated and brought to justice; it is the responsibility of Congress to see that office holders who abuse their power be removed from office. Each day it becomes clearer that Nixon, through deceit and ignorance of the standards of law and morality, has disqualified himself from holding the presidency a day longer. Congress must impeach and remove Nixon from office without any further hesitation.