Freshmen Lose, 1-0, to Princeton Team; Booters Suffer 2nd Straight Blanking

The freshman soccer team extended its scoreless streak to two games last Thursday, falling to Princeton, 1-0, at the Business School Field.

The lone goal, a two-on-one give and go play 7:45 into the first half, meant the difference for the floundering booters.

With top scoring threat Marc Zimmering sidelined with a foot injury, the freshman team lacked the offensive punch to penetrate Princeton's tough defense.

Outmuscled

Harvard Coach Dana Getchell explained that the Princeton club out muscled the Crimson front line. "We have a lot of little fellows who had trouble going against their big defensive backs," he said.

The Tigers dominated the middle of the field throughout the game. Princeton's diamond defense effectively stymied the Crimson linemen in Harvard's own territory.

Despite the loss, Getchell was pleased with the performances of goalie Peter Dugerian and fullbacks Kevin Jiggetts, Chris Saunders and Aris Yannapoulis.

Getchell said Dugerian looked good in the air and came out of the net well. "He didn't have to make any dangerous saves or dives," he said.

Although Getchell said he didn't feel too bad about the loss, he said, "If you don't score, you don't deserve to win."

Besides the absence of their number one scorer, the freshman booters had little practice because of a week of hourlies. They also suffered through a very physical loss against Tufts last Wednesday.

Team captain Lyman Bulari blamed the lack of practice for the team's inability to move the ball around smoothly. "We weren't clicking that well," he said.

No Alibis

Getchell refused to alibi for the team's loss but he admitted "these games were masterpieces of mis-scheduling at 60 Boylston Street."

The 1-0 defeat leaves the Crimson with a 4-3 record overall. The booters will have an opportunity to improve upon their record when they meet Brown at Providence next Friday.