Crimson Aquamen Torpedo Army Swimmers, 98-15

Tetlow Sets Record In 500 Freestyle

By James W. Reinig

Harvard's aquamen put on an impressive display of swimming power on Saturday, taking every first place and all but two second places in a 98-15 rout of Army.

Freshman sensation Peter Tetlow and sophomore All-American Hess Yntema led the Harvard barrage on Army. Tetlow garnered victories in the 1000-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle. Tetlow's time of 4:40.362 in the 500 free set a new Harvard record at that distance, bettering Fred Mitchell's old record by over a second and a half.

Tetlow Outstanding

"Tetlow swam an outstanding 500," Harvard coach Ray Essick said yesterday. "He went out a little fast, but this was his first major effort on a short course in the 500, and he'll come along."

Yntema notched wins in the 200-yard butterfly, the 200-yard freestyle as well as leading the Crimson's winning 400-yard freestyle relay.

A big satisfaction for the Crimson was Dave English's stellar performance in the one meter and three meter diving competition. English took victories in both events with freshman Roger Johannigman providing strong backup performances. Johannigman took third place at the one meter height and second place in the three meters.

Pleased with Freshmen

"We were particularly pleased with our freshmen again," Essick said. The freshmen 400-yard medley relay team of Neil Marten, Ted Fullerton, Brent Haywood, and George Keim swept past a veteran Harvard medley relay team as well as two Army entries to win that event.

Keim, Marten, and Fullerton came back to also take firsts in the 50-yard freestyle, 200-yard backstroke, and the 200 yard breast stroke respectively.

"I hate to look past any competition," Essick said about the weak foes coming up in January, "but I'd have to say we are probably looking forward to the Princeton meet after exams. That is what we will be thinking about in our training over the holidays." Harvard will be training in San Juan during the holiday break.

"We put in as many people as possible in the meet," Essick said. "The trouble is that our second line of swimmers was so anxious in their first meet in front of a home crowd that they ran up the score even more."

"I felt badly about how high the score was," Essick said, "but I'm certainly not ashamed of it."