Matmen Drop Penn, Rutgers Matches But Share Easy Victory Against F&M

By Richard H.P. Sia

The Harvard wrestling team lost its hopes of breaking even this season when they fell to Penn, 21-15, and Rutgers, 23-12, in the IAB last Saturday.

The Crimson did manage to dump Franklin and Marshall, 30-15, to round out the quadrangular meet. "The win over F & M was satisfying, but "The win over F & M was satisfying, but I'm really disappointed with the other matches," Harvard coach John Lee said after the meet.

After crushing Penn's Bob Benz, 15-0, and pinning F & M's Brett Senior in the first round, Harvard strongman Carl Biello (134) lost his steam and dropped his first match of the season to Rutgers' Bob Ciarrocki, 6-0.

Biello trailed Ciarrocki, 2-0, going into the second round, and allowed him three more points before the third. Biello was unable to escape Ciarrocki, who stayed close and moved quickly. "F & M looked better at 134," Lee said. "He caught me by surprise, but Ciarrocki deserved the win."

Another Disappointment

Penn captain Rick Zweig walked off the mat grinning after he forced Harvard's Richie Starr to a 2-2 tie in the 190 duel. "Talk about disappointments," Lee said. "Zweig is not a better wrestler and he knows it. That's why he wrestled for the tie." Zweig closed the 0-2 score by executing a reverse in the last round. Starr rebounded by pinning his F & M foe and upending Rutger's Bill Woodale, 8-2.

Harvard's Mike Dee (150) pulled off an impressive second-round pin of F & M's Steve Noel and nabbed his first season win. "Dee looked outstanding," Lee said. "He did a creditable job all day." Dee lost an 8-5 decision to Penn and a 3-1 heartbreaker to Rutgers.

Field Day

Only Dan Blakinger (118) had a field day against the three visiting squads. He pinned Penn's Dewey Golkin, whipped F & M, 10-4, and decimated Rutgers, 15-3.

Harvard, now 5-10 for the season and 1-4 in the Ivies will meet their last opponent, Yale, this Saturday in New Haven "We're still out to win," Lee said.